Saturday 30 December 2023

“A Post Mortem on the Gino Case”: a hot mess (En)

The whole story is a hot mess and keeps on giving (mind you, I haven’t read the infamous New Yorker piece yet). Speaking about the real horrors of Academia.
The story so far is very banal. I, a (very) early-career researcher, took a deep dive into a famous paper and discovered inconsistencies. These stories always start with “that’s odd…”, “it doesn’t make any sense…”, or “there is something off here…”. Then, I second-guessed myself, a lot. After all, the authors are famous, serious people; and the paper is published in a prestigious peer-reviewed journal. So I thought “I must have misunderstood,” “I must be missing a part of the puzzle,” “it was probably addressed during the peer review process”… Then, as I finally grew more confident that the issues were real and substantial, I decided to write about them. ©

No comments :

Post a Comment