Friday 25 August 2023

“Whistle, and I’ll Come for You”: now on the walls (En)

I don’t understand why I’ve been hesitating for so long, but finally this gem has found its place in my Lovecraftian/Goth/horror/you-name-it room. You have most likely heard the name Slippery Jack, the incredible graphic designer and illustrator Richard Wells, who was involved in a few of Moffat’s productions (Doctor Who, the recent BBC Dracula adaptation etc.); he was also the author of the famous poster for the folk-horror masterpiece, The Wicker Man, and illustrated for a bunch of renowned authors in the horror and Gothic literature — Arthur Machen, Robert Aickman and, of course, M.R. James.
The poster I got is the most perfect take on the most perfect b/w adaptation of M.R. James’s “Oh, Whistle, and I’ll Come to You [My Lad]” (1968, featuring the legendary Michael Hordern who played Professor Parkin), and nobody could ever make it better: it’s glorious. I put it amongst my beloved Twin Peaks memorabilia created by Helena Janečić and Stanley Chow.



No comments :

Post a Comment