Thursday 26 May 2022

World Dracula Day at Whitby Abbey (En)

They did it! They’ve broken the record for the highest number of vampires and vampiresses attending the fabulous Whitby Abbey on this special day! Sincerest congratulations to all involved!
I was going to attend this event which was expected to happen two years in Scarborough with a one-day visit to Whitby Abbey: it should’ve been StokerCon-2020 with the Ann Radcliffe academic conference within it. But then, as we all know, Covid hit, and the organisers desperately tried to stick to their plan (during that time they renamed StokerCon to ChillerCon).
Sadly, it became clear quite soon that all their plans had failed, the conference was cancelled and the event (meaning the ChillerCon part) was postponed. Until now; the organisers sent me the renewed invitation, but this time I wasn’t ready to go, given all the ongoing circumstances. I thank them dearly for their support and now am looking at the event with a bittersweet feeling: yes, I understand that I could’ve been among those lovely folks, but the reason not to go is more important.
Next time I will go to Whitby, that’s for sure. And it will be fabulous. Happy World Dracula Day again, Children of the Night!


(Original photo by English Heritage ©)

No comments :

Post a Comment