Tuesday 31 May 2022

Nothings and triviality

While having breakfast and surfing recklessly through my feed (a bad habit, I know), I noticed a cutsie meme using the old “monster under the bed” trope (on the picture, the person lost his pillow while asleep, the monster gave it back, and they made a warm handshake afterwards).
Which makes me think: was the monster part of my own childhood? There was a little grey wolf who’s supposed to bite your side if you’d be audacious enough and lie at the edge of your bed; there was Baba Yaga who preferred naughty kids as snacks; and, finally, there was Babay, a formless creature from beyond (a Great Old One?) who didn’t approve of your lousy behaviour in the night.
But a monster under the bed? No, I don’t remember him in my childhood folklore.

No comments :

Post a Comment