Sunday 29 May 2022

The Alan Turing sculpture: pros and cons (En)

As a great admirer of Turing’s legacy, I fully support the idea to install a statue of his in the King’s Front Court (towards the bridge) as he was an alumnus of King’s.
But does my complete rejection of this particular obelisk make me a douche bag? I certainly got the concept to envision Turing as a person linked to the whole “code/Turing machine” thing, but it was executed in a lame and sloppy way. It turned out to be even worse as the sculptor is Antony Gormley, the author of the Angel of the North, and an alumnus of Trinity. He’s an artist of a great talent, and I have no idea what went so completely wrong this time.
To be honest, I am sick and tired of the shitty “artworks” that recently infested Cambridge (at the Astra Zeneca building and the like). It’s not enough to have a strong desire to install “something” on the ground: it has to be skilfully done.

No comments :

Post a Comment