Wednesday 9 June 2021

“The Rise of the Murdoch Dynasty” (BBC, 2020): En

While watching the three-part documentary “The Rise of the Murdoch Dynasty” about the never-ending story of the main media vulture and pseudo-Citizen Kane, whose Xanadu was located mostly on 10 Downing St, I suddenly caught myself thinking that it was made by the BBC exactly a year ago. Why does it matter? Bear with me* for a moment.
Despite Murdoch’s endless attempts to rule the BBC in the “easy-going” Sky/News of the World manner, surprisingly, he didn’t succeed (the docu-series is partly about this as well): the phone hacking scandal (involving Rebecca Brooks etc.) proved that he and his clique tried hard and failed.
But perseverance is a thing: given the ongoing (and totally blown out of proportion) story which involves Bashir and forged bank statements, one could argue that revenge is not only a thing served cold, but is also a well cooked dish: why on Earth did the Bashir story emerge now? Well, I guess, Murdoch is much more comfortable knowing that he can still stain the reputation of his powerful rival with the most possible damage. So, my take is that the faked bank records story is his response to the documentary. If so, he did it like a viper.
________________
*I am wearing my tinfoil “reaching” hat, sinking into a conspiracy downward spiral, but why not

No comments :

Post a Comment