Friday 23 February 2024

Laura Ashley and going down the memory lane

Came across the photo featuring a young woman and a girl wearing Laura Ashley attire, and was immediately taken down the memory lane.
Those were the days when I was buying Laura Ashley dresses and skirts at the second hand shops: I was a student and didn’t have a lot of money to shop in other stores (well, in fact, the chances to find something decent there at an affordable price were next to zero anyway): I loved how floaty they were and their floral patterns on the cotton fabric reminded me of Renaissance paintings. Funny how thrifting is so popular now among well fed, self-righteous teens.
Tempus fugit, many moons have passed by, the Laura Ashley brand went under administration and its production can be found online in several places for somewhat hefty price, and I still feel nostalgic every time I stumble upon it. This pseudo-daguerreotype reminds me of pre-Raphaelites (Isabella by John Everett Millais? Perhaps) and my youth.


(© Laura Ashley Ltd Sara Freeman and Emma Ashley photographed in Laura Ashley dresses, late-1960s.)

No comments :

Post a Comment