Monday 30 September 2024

Кромерские tutti quanti: RNLI Museum/Lifeboat Station on the Pier (En; photos)

The Museum’s story is as interesting as the history of the Pier itself: it’s been closed for a long time, then reopened, then closed again, and now it’s open, and we decided to view it.
Not the station, however: it’s always been there. The main thing which is really impressive—the lifeboat you can see on display, is fully equipped and ready to go whenever needed. I missed this absent-mindedly, while reading the long chronicles of rescues around the Norfolk coast, starting from the early 1830s, but then I detected the whiff of diesel in the air: a man wearing protective gear exited the lifeboat door.
The next thought that came to my mind was as absurd as it was tempting: new RNLI volunteers are needed, the wall poster said, join us. Shall I? Do I need to continue my academic stuff or? Honestly, for a second I almost convinced myself that I should go on this lifeboat into the cold grey waters.








No comments :

Post a Comment